Here are some key features of the project:
– Initial construction will begin on 20 roads, six of which are urgent, with a total length covering 1,070 km.
– The cost of the first phase of the smart transportation system is estimated at LE two billion.
– Included in phase one are the Cairo-Alexandria Desert Road (220km), Cairo-Ismailia-Port Said Road (195 km), Cairo-Suez Road (134 km), Cairo-Ain Sokhna Road (110km), the regional ring road (338km), and Shubra-Benha Road (40km).
– Toll fees will be collected electronically without the need to stop.
– Response time to accidents will be reduced to between 30 and 90 minutes, which is forecast to provide an economic return of LE900 million annually.
– A decrease in the number of accidents from between 22 and 48 percent is expected, with the critical accident rate shrinking from 22 to nine percent.
– Traffic violations are expected to drop by 45 percent due to the system’s capacity to send warnings to drivers.
– Operating speeds on the road network are estimated to increase by 35 percent at peak times.
– Total fuel consumption is projected to decrease by up to 13 percent annually upon the implementation of the smart system.
Edited translation from Al-Masry Al-Youm